Some people struggle to keep up with the latest technology on the market. If you are one of them, you might be wondering if you need a Firestick from Amazon to go with that new smart TV you bought. This article will help you with any doubts you might have about owning both.
Do you need a Firestick if you have a smart TV? You don’t need a Firestick if you already have a smart TV because they have similar functions. However, there are a few reasons you could purchase a Firestick in addition to the smart television. Benefits of the Amazon Firestick include ease of use, cost effectiveness, and additional apps not found on smart TVs.
A new smart TV might have all the bells and whistles you’re looking for in a modern entertainment experience, but it might not have everything. This is where the Amazon Firestick comes in. Let’s hash out the details.
Do You Need A Firestick If You Have A Smart TV?
If you have a smart TV, you might wonder how a Firestick from Amazon could add to your entertainment experience in the comfort of your own home. It might surprise you to learn if you have a smart TV, you don’t necessarily need a Firestick. Here are a few reasons why:
- A waste of money: A smart TV can already use most streaming services (such as Netflix and Hulu), and purchasing a Firestick could duplicate some of the apps and options you already have.
- Games: Some new models of smart televisions come with the option to download games and other apps. This has the same functionality of a Firestick.
- Weaker connection: Oftentimes, cable providers help install setup boxes for each television in your home. This means the TV is hardwired for service, whereas a Firestick relies on a wireless connection that sometimes doesn’t work.
The bottom line is: you don’t need both a smart TV and a Firestick. However, you might want both a smart TV and a Firestick. We will go over a few reasons why you should still consider a Firestick from Amazon anyway.
Why You Should Purchase A Firestick
While smart televisions and an Amazon Firestick might have similar functions, there are benefits to owning a Firestick in addition to your regular setup. They include:
- Easy To Use
- It’s Cost Effective
- Additional Apps Are Available
1. Easy to Use
Using a Firestick from Amazon is easy–from the setup to everyday use.
The experience with the Firestick starts with a simple setup. You only need a few things to start–including a compatible television, a power outlet, the cord that comes with your Firestick, and the Firestick itself.
Follow the steps below to get it hooked up:
- Plug the power cord into the power outlet.
- On the other end of the cord is a micro-USB port; plug that into the bottom of the Firestick.
- Plug the Firestick into the HDMI port on your television.
After you plug everything in, change the TV channel to the corresponding HDMI input. Keep in mind this is usually done with the remote that comes with the TV–not the cable box.
You can turn on your Firestick remote and follow the on-screen prompts to add your family’s WiFi and login to your Amazon account. You can also set up parental controls during setup if you have small children.
Just like that, you’re ready to get started with your Firestick!
Using the Firestick interface is also user-friendly because it’s straightforward and simple, making navigation with the remote simple as well.
Here are basic controls:
- The circular wheel has four directional arrows (up, down, left, and right) to navigate content on the screen.
- To select content, use the circular button in the middle.
- The curved arrow will go back to the previous screen.
- To navigate to your home page, select the home icon
- The options button has three horizontal lines; this will provide more information.
- The standard rewind, play/pause, and fast forward buttons are on the last row of the remote.
There’s also one feature on the new Firestick remotes that can make navigating apps even easier. You can hold the microphone icon at the top to activate Amazon’s voice assistant, Alexa, on screen. This voice assistant can help you search for shows in certain apps like Prime Video.
Alexa is a helpful feature for a variety of people including:
- Young children
- Those who are new to the Firestick
- Individuals with disabilities
The everyday use of the Amazon Firestick is a breeze compared to some of the smart TV interfaces out there.
2. It’s Cost Effective
An Amazon Firestick is cost effective, and they frequently offer sales on Amazon electronics; if you catch them at the right time, it can save you even more money. You can even wait until the new generation comes out to purchase the older model. The older model will inevitably go on sale because it’s outdated.
Firesticks are pretty affordable–especially compared to the alternative: cable boxes. Cable boxes can cost the same as a Firestick (or more) per television each month, whereas the stick is a one-time fee. On top of that, cable boxes aren’t portable and take up a lot of space.
There are even finance-savvy folks out there who are cutting their cable bill out entirely with the help of a streaming device like the Firestick. This means you pay once for the stick and then you pay subscription fees for your streaming services and assorted apps (some of which might even be free). This is a mere fraction of the cost of a cable bill.
Purchasing a Firestick is an especially tempting deal if you don’t watch a lot of television because you will have fewer subscription fees. You can’t watch everything on every channel of your cable subscription!
3. Additional Apps Are Available
A Firestick is great for streaming movies and TV shows from apps like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or Netflix, but there is so much more to this device than meets the eye. There are also countless apps out there.
With the Firestick, you can download a variety apps from the following categories:
- Games have a lot of options from puzzles to arcade game classics and more. There is a little something for all age groups.
- Educational apps have new things to learn for all ages. Learn a language, practice your math skills, or learn about cooking.
- News channels also have apps available through Amazon’s app store. It’s not just big stations, either–local channels are starting to get in on the action.
- Magazines offer content on a range of topics from pet care and fitness to business and finance. If a magazine has an app, chances are it’s in this store.
- Music and Audio offers music, audiobooks, and podcasts to listen to at your leisure. There are many apps for each of these forms of media.
These are only some of the categories listed in the app store. These aren’t even half of them. On top of that, Amazon is a company that is constantly growing! There are more apps to come–both paid and free. It’s worth checking back frequently for new options to see what you might enjoy next.
Owning a smart TV and a Firestick might sound redundant, but there are benefits to adding the Firestick to your entertainment system.