How to Buy Amazon Fire TV if you live in Canada
Are you having problems buying an Amazon Fire TV device in Canada? Here are a few steps on how to buy Amazon Fire TV if you live in Canada.
Amazon Fire TV devices are very popular stateside but are not available on the Canadian Amazon site and the American Amazon site does not ship to Canada. However recently the Amazon Fire Stick Basic Edition has now been made available in Canada, but other Fire TV models are still not available.
How to get Amazon Fire TV in Canada
Here is a way to get Amazon Fire TV if you live in Canada
Buying any other Amazon Fire TV device can be a challenge for Canadians. Here are a few steps on how to get one and also info on if it is your best choice. You can see all our reviews for alternatives that are available in Canada.
- You will need to set up an account at a USA mailbox forwarding website. These companies for a fee will provide you with a USA shipping address that you can now use for your US Amazon order. The company will automatically send your order to your Canadian address. Some good USA mailbox sites are ShipToTheBorder' MyUsaAddress, MyUS.
- Go to Amazon Fire TV and add to your cart. But at check out, you will now use your USA Mailbox site address.
- After you have placed your order, check US shipping account settings for delivery status. Then put your forwarding Canadian address and ship it to Canada.
- One final method is if you have a friend in the US simply have it shipped to them, then have them ship it to you. But again you are still paying double shipping charges and paying in US dollars. If your a snow bird pick one up next time you go to the states.
Update. It's finally here!
Amazon Fire TV Basic Edition is now available in Canada!
See my complete review Amazon Fire TV Stick Basic Edition Review
Amazon Fire TV Basic Edition
This is the first Amazon Fire TV device to be made available in Canada. The Amazon Fire TV Basic Edition can stream content from a variety of apps or video streaming services at up to 1080p resolution.
- The basic Edition Fire TV features a quad-core processor, built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi, plugs directly into a TV via HDMI and comes with a tiny Fire TV Remote for navigation. The same specs as the newer version of Amazon Fire Stick but without voice control or gaming support.
- With the Fire TV Basic Edition you can access a number of Amazon apps over 4000 to choose from. Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify are all available but the main push is for Amazon Prime Membership to get the most out of Amazon Fire TV.
- Priced at around $50 dollars it is in the price range of many competitors, same price as Roku Stick. Keep in mind you do need an Amazon Prime Membership to access Amazons Prime video content to get the most out of this device. If you don’t like that idea I would suggest the Roku.
Interesting enough Amazon's price for the Basic Edition is the same in Canadian dollars as in US dollars but with no exchange rate. Making them cheaper to buy in Canada. But I think this is an introductory price for a limited time. Although you can use it without, to get the most of of you Amazon Fire TV you will need an Canada Amazon Prime Membership.
Alternative to Amazon Fire TV for Canadians
Although this method above is legit and will get you Amazon Fire TV in Canada. The additional $15 to $30 US for the USA mailbox service and the US dollar conversion brings the cost of your Amazon TV Stick up.
It's not really worth it unless you are spending at least $150 US. For an Amazon Fire Stick at $39.99 US with conversation and extra fees it pretty well doubles the price.
See Our GooBang Doo Reviews
Streaming Media Player
See Our Roku Reviews
Streaming Media Stick.
You can buy a better product on Canadian Amazon with more features for the same or less money. The specs on Amazon Fire TV compared to other Kodi devices available in Canada are not that impressive. You have to side-load all of the best apps and you have to be a member of Amazon Prime to get the most out of the system. Amazon fire stick does not provide ethernet port, crucial for HD streams and live feeds on Kodi.
There are better Streaming Media Player options for Canadians without having to pay additional shipping and service charges. The following are available in Canada with more features for the same or less money than Amazon Fire TV.
Amazon's smart home devices are now available in Canada
Operate a number of devices in your home by simple talking to Alexa.
Learn more about What are smart devices all about?
What is Kodi TV?
- Kodi TV is a software that enables you to stream apps and on-demand services onto your TV.
- Kodi software is legal it can even be downloaded onto an Amazon Fire Stick.
- Blank Kodie software boxes can be bought from most major retailers for around $100 or less.
- Boxes can play, Youtube, Soundcloud, and other free catch-up apps.
Did You Know?
A Streaming Media Player Can Save You Around $200 A Year.
That cable TV DVR converter box in your seldom used guest room is costing you about $10 to $20 monthly in rental fees? That’s over $200 a year. Every year! If you have a few boxes you can double that cost.
Purchasing a Streaming Media players for about $50 to $150, will eliminate ongoing monthly DVR rental fees. With a Streaming media device and a good WiFi signal, you can easily connect your guest room TV to view programs when needed. Choose from set top players or simply just a media stick. Free TV or paid subscription to a variety of streaming video services.
To help to get you started with Amazon Fire TV
If you are technical challenged a good helpful book is this Amazon Fire TV User Guide. This short helpful guide is a great reference to have. Installation instructions, how to set up channels, step by step and how to info.
About the Author
Here to provide you with info and reviews and just plain cool stuff. Electronic device advice.